Sopa de Lentejas - Lentil Soup
In many Cultures, eating lentils on New Years is a tradition to bring luck and financial prosperity. The recipe below for lentils soup is a great one, and a great opportunity to use our Black Clay, La Chamba Traditional Soup Bowl.
|Product Featured in this Recipe|
|Black Clay, La Chamba Traditional Soup Bowl|
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 teaspoon(s) vegtable oil
- 1 cup(s) chorizo, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) garlis, minced
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped tomatoes
- 5 cup(s) water
- 1 1/4 cup(s) dried lentils
- 1 small carrot, diced small
- 1 medium potato, diced small
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
Sopa de Lentejas - Lentil Soup Directions
- Start by warming up a pot such as our medium Casserole slowly, putting it with the oil on low heat, gradually increasing it to medium.
- Add the chorizo and cook it in the oil stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot, tomato, and scallions to the pot, season with salt and pepper and cook stirring occasionally for about 12 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin and cook 1 more minute, adding the lentils.
- Add the water slowly as to not crack the clay pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook until the lentils become tender but not mushy about 45 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for 15 to 20 minutes more until the potatoes are fully cooked and fork tender, thin with water if necessary.