Portuguese Cod fish and Stingray Stew (Caldeirada de Bacalhau e Raia)
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 lb salted cod (bacalhau)
- 1 lb stingray fins (or other firm fleshed fish)
- 5 medium potatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 large onions
- 5 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
Portuguese Cod fish and Stingray Stew (Caldeirada de Bacalhau e Raia) Directions
- Pre-soaking the bacalhau by placing it cod into a container of cool water and change the water every 6 hours or so to remove the excess salt. This can be done for 2 days prior to making the recipe in order to remove as much salt as possible before cooking.
- Cut the bacalhau and ray into 1 ½ – 2 inch chunks and set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into ¼ inch slices and set aside.
- Remove the stem and seeds from the bell pepper before thinly slicing and set aside.
- Peel the onion and thinly slice into half-moons, and mix all but ¼ of the onion with the pepper.
- Peel the garlic and thinly slice it.
- Heat the olive oil in the cataplana over medium heat. Add in the garlic and ¼ of the onion and sauté for 1-3 minutes or until garlic is golden and onion is translucent. Layer the onion and bell pepper on top, some coriander, then add a layer of potato. Repeat until all the onion/pepper mixture and potato has been used, reserving a bit of the cilantro/coriander for later.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, wine and season with pepper. Close the cataplana and bring it to a boil.
- Once it’s come to a boil, open the cataplana and add the fish to the pan, stir gently and cover again and reduce heat to low and allow it to simmer about 15 – 20 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. Turn off the heat, open the cataplana and add the last of the cilantro/coriander on top.
- Serve immediately with Portuguese bread.
Do not salt this dish before tasting it at the end.