Urad Dal Curry
A healthy and protein rich dal variety cooked in a traditional soapstone pot to perfection. Enjoy this dal with rice or Indian flat bread variety.
|Product Featured in this Recipe|
|Indian Soapstone Pot - Makkal Chatti|
For 3 Person(s)
- 1/2 cup whole urad dal (black gram) - soaked overnight in water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp tumeric powder
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1 pinch asofoetida
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 dry red chili
Urad Dal Curry Directions
- Soak urad dal overnight in water. Pressure cook with ½ cup water, ginger-garlic paste and little salt for 7 minutes after the pressure starts to be realeased.
- Remove pressure cooker from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Once there is no pressure (follow the manufacturer's guidline), open the lid and mash the cooked dal. Keep it aside.
- Put an Indian Soaptone Pot on low heat 5 minutes. Add 1 tbsp oil and cook chopped onions for a while.
- Now, add leaves chopped tomato and mash the pulp. Switch to low medium flame and cook. Add mint and coriander. Stir well.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala and asofoetida. Stir well everything and add mashed dal.
- Mix well everything. Add salt to taste and 1 cup water or more if needed. Cook it covered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for tempering, heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and broken red chilies. Add this tempering to the dal and let the dal cook for another 2 minutes. Switch off the heat and serve dal with rice or roti or naan.
- Note: If you keep cooked dal in soapstone pot for longer time, it will stay warm but will become thick. So adjust the quantity of water added and cook accordingly.
Recipe by Preeti Tamilarasan, JOPREETSKITCHEN
For further details about this recipe visit: http://www.jopreetskitchen.com/